"In what order should I be using my home care products?" This is a question we're often asked, and in case your wondering as well, here is a detailed answer...
Note: Treat your face, neck and upper chest equally.
1) Daily Cleanser: This is the most important step of your routine. If your skin is not cleansed properly, nothing you apply after will work as well as it should.
- Milks are applied to a dry skin and gels are applied to a damp skin.
- SK's cleansers are gentle but effective, but if you wear a stick foundation or a heavily applied foundation, we recommend cleansing twice.
- Your daily cleanser should NOT to be confused with the Radiance or Derma Peel Pro Cleansing Gel which is a weekly exfoliator. They are ONLY to be used 1 to 3 times a week, depending on your skin type.
2) Tonic Water: Why tonic? It re-balances your skin's natural PH levels after cleansing so that everything you're about to apply works as well as it can. Also, it helps remove to anything missed during cleansing... just in case.
- Apply tonic to a gauze and wipe over skin or spray directly to the area.
- SK's Aquatherm Thermal Concentrate Water is also fantastic for setting mineral make-up.
3) Serums and Ampoules (optional): If you are currently using or looking to add one of these to your routine, they are awesome products with highly concentrated ingredients designed to repair and improve the appearance of your skin.
- Talk to us about when, where and how to apply these products for the best results ever!
4) Eye (and lip cream, optional): The skin around your eyes is different than the rest of your skin and it's VERY important to treat it properly... don't get me started, I may not stop ;). Stop by Studio J and we'll be more than happy to discuss the reasons why with you.
- Apply a very small amount to the skin above on the bone around the orbit of the eye. Slide your middle or ring finger from the inside corner to out side corner of the eye, top and bottom. Once your fingers stop sliding easily, tap or very gently pinch the skin until it's finished absorbing.
5) Moisturizer: Moisturizers do so much and are so important, but remember: day creams are designed to protect our skin from the realities of the environment, while night creams are designed to repair the damage every day life causes... and some are designed to do both. Of course the creams you choose do much more than that. They also help diminish wrinkles, increase firmness, brighten dull skin, and so on...
- Apply a small pea size amount to each area (face, neck & upper chest). If it absorbs before you can cover the whole area, get a bit more. If it's taking a long time to absorb, you've applied more than you need and should blot with a tissue to remove the excess.
6) SPF: If your day cream has an SPF, you're good to go. If not, we highly recommend a 'BB' or 'CC' cream or foundation with an SPF for normal daily protection.
- If you are outside for long periods, not only when you're lying on a beach, you need to be re-applying your sunscreen hourly for the best protection. Cancer prevention is not the only reason to use sunscreen, but I think it's important to remind ourselves... No one is invincible. Cancer doesn't always happen to someone else.
- Most skin damage is done before the age of 18. So, it's important for us to to remember to educate the young so they develop the habit early.
Doing these steps, which only take a couple of minutes morning and night is the best way to maintain healthy skin. You will thank your older self one day ;).
Look good. Feel good. All good.